11.07.2006

Nothing is Constant

Nothing in this world is constant. People fail you. Success is fleeting. Seasons change. The ground beneath us crumbles in earthquakes. But our Lord, He never changes. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. When everything around us is going crazy, we can count on Him to be there. He never leaves us. I can't tell you how many times I've turned my back on God, or just put Him completely to the side, but He mercifully forgives me and welcomes me back with open arms. It reminds me of the parable of the prodigal son in Luke 15. This son turns away from his father, asking for his share of the inheritance so he may leave his family and be free to do whatever he chooses. After squandering away his inheritance, the son realizes his mistake. He returns to his father, hoping to be allowed to be a mere servant in his father's house. He recognizes his sin and anticipates the consequences. However, upon returning, his father has compassion and runs to embrace and kiss his lost son. The father gives his son the best robe, a ring, sandals, a fattened calf. Our Father in Heaven is just like this. He celebrates us even though we do nothing to deserve it.

Today I come to a greater appreciation of the gifts God has given me. My husband, whom I adore, was so perfectly created for me. Wally, our sweet dog, couldn't possibly be more loving or well-behaved. I have a wonderful family, great friends, a roof over my head, food, water and the list goes on and on. I am so quick to wonder why things don't always go my way, why I don't have certain things, etc., but the Lord is so good, and He blesses me so much each day.

I love being outside. It doesn't matter what I'm doing. I can be running, playing or just sitting, gazing out at the world around me. Nature is where I am most aware of God's presence, and He knows that. He continually speaks to me through that. Whether it is through a beautiful sunset or sunrise or watching squirrels scamper about, He knows my heart, and He gives me glimpses of His beauty. He puts so much thought into each sunset He paints for me. No two are the same, and His creativity never ceases. Praise the Lord for his artistic abilities!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kel! I really enjoyed reading your blogs! I especially love this one. Can't wait to see more of them! I miss you and Ryan, but I'm very happy the two of you are enjoying Louisville. It must be nice to be able to see Brandon and Jill so frequently. Take care!!!
Love, Mandi