June 7, 2006 The roosters woke us again at the crack of dawn. I can relate to Vincent Gambini -- you remember, Ralph Macchio's Brooklyn-trained attorney cousin? Anyhow, had I a pistol, I would surely race out to the lanai and fire in all directions...We planned to wake early for a kayak today; however, we're still spent from the wicked hike we took at Kalalau. So we laid low today.
You know I'm a huge soccer fan, and there's no way I'm going to miss the first World Cup game for U.S. So though we were to camp the last four nights of our stay in Kauai, we'll find accommodations (w/cable TV) for Sunday night; that way I may catch Monday's early morning match versus Czech Republic.
We called around to get the cheapest place with cable in the south side of the island. We found a good deal with Neil, an English carpenter who's just finishing his newest property.
He said we'd better come see the joint before agreeing to stay, to be sure we like the place and, more importantly, that it has ESPN2 so we don't miss the game.
We made the hour-plus drive to Waimea and finally found the one-bedroom house Neil's built with his two hands in just under a year.
Neil's a gifted carpenter. The place was great and indeed had ESPN2, so we were convinced. We had a nice two-hour conversation with the Brit, who'd moved to Kauai after a world surfing tour in 1980.
It was nearly 2 p.m. before we left Neil's, so we hustled to Kalaheo for Brick Oven Pizza, another Glasscock favorite. The medium, half-cheese, half-sausage pie hit the spot. And we made our way back to Kapaa for fair shopping, which was disappointing. However, Kealia Beach delighted once more.
A set of Wave Submission sent salt water in, out, back in and out of my nose and mouth. Feel the burn. Suddenly, I became more concerned with Frodo's travels, so we returned to the blanket and sand for a few hours of reading...very relaxing with the crashing waves before us.
We took short reading breaks to watch a private surfing competition. The surfers were like 8 years old but very good. Their coach kept score with a stick and the sand. Fascinating.
We watched the sun set again in Princeville, finished leftovers for dinner and watched Glory Road before lights out.
No comments:
Post a Comment