June 5, 2006 Day 4 had a disappointing start. We haven't planned our days in Kauai as well as we did last week in Maui. Wasn't till around 2 that we finished a mediocre lunch -- by the way, I'm not allergic to seafood as I expected...I just don't like the stuff -- we headed to the southside of the island, hoping to salvage our day.We stopped at the Parks and Recreation office in Lihue to get replacement camping permits (since we somehow lost our original set). The ranger gave us a tip on nearby Kalapaki Beach, just a few blocks down the way, next to the Kauai Marriot.
What a treat it was. Despite our aimless intentions, just as we set foot in the sand, we heard rumors of a turtle sighting. Sure enough, Herbie and his friend were just off the shore (Kelli likes to name the turtles we meet, especially if they befriend us). We swam with Herbie for about 20 minutes before having a go at Wave Submission. Waves were pretty weak however in this bay; this is a much better spot for controlled swimming.
So we gave up on the game and turned to the sand to lay out and read. On one of the planes over to Hawaii, Kelli started A Voice in the Wind, the first in Francine Rivers' three-book Mark of the Lion series; while I picked up Lord of the Rings again (I joined Frodo and friends like 4 years ago and set him aside for a while). Anyway, we read for a couple hours and really enjoyed it.
I hit the Marriot for a potty break and was wowwed by the pool on the way in. The enormous pool was shaped in an octagon, I think, and had something like 5 hot tubs...very cool and we plan on returning to it before our United flight takes us back to the mainland.
We caught a wonderful sunset on the way home, just outside the Princeville Hotel (Princeville is an area of tourist accommodations on the north side of the island).Beat, we rested the rest of the night. We made taco salad for dinner and watched the series finale of "Everwood" before falling asleep.
Once again, you never know how a hard day will end...
No comments:
Post a Comment