Sweet Silas! I can't believe it's already been a month since we first laid eyes on you! What a precious blessing and perfect addition to our family you are!!
Everything looked great at my 38 Week checkup on Wednesday, March 13, though I hadn't made any progress toward labor. On Thursday, I was getting really worn out and becoming convinced that you were not going to stay put until Sunday, which was my goal because Dr. Cawley was out of town for a few days and wouldn't be back until Sunday afternoon. I started having contractions sometime after 5 a.m. on Saturday. Some of them took my breath away a little bit, but I was sleeping and wasn't fully aware of what was going on. When I woke up, I was still out of it and wasn't positive whether the contractions had been real or just a dream. Your daddy encouraged me to call the hospital (around 7:40 a.m.) to find out if the on-call doctor was already in town or would have to drive in, just in case. 
You're so strong! When you were just 25 hours old, you held your head up on your own for quite awhile, causing our nurse to comment that you seemed more like 25 days old.
For the first week or so, you really weren't excited about sleeping at night unless it was cuddled up with me. I LOVED sleeping with you in my arms--whether on the couch or in our bed, but I was also glad when you got into a routine. Starting at 5 days old, you began getting up just one time in the middle of the night to eat (around 11p.m., 4a.m., and 8a.m.), and that continues to be your pattern. You're a pretty laid back baby and have been a great eater and sleeper, praise the Lord!
You're a content little guy and usually only fuss when you're hungry or if you need to burp. I will say that you seem to have a fairly strong gag reflex, which makes it important to burp you well or get you upright if you appear to be gagging.
I have affectionately started calling you my "Spider Monkey" because you cling to me, my shirt, my hair, etc. just like a baby Spider Monkey clings to his mommy. I love it!
At this point, it seems like you might have curly hair when you get older because it gets wavy when wet, which is more than Caleb's hair used to do, but we'll see. Speaking of, when you were born Caleb was so excited that you have blonde hair because now he's not the only one! :) You do seem to have longer hair than your brother and sister did--the hair on the top of your head is already about 1.5" long!
Silas, you're just like Caleb and Evie in so many ways--looks, eating, sleeping, your apathy toward a pacifier...however, you, unlike your brother at your age, seem to really enjoy your baths. Evie even cried during her first bath at home, but you have never cried during bath time. You even have a stork bite right below your hairline, like Caleb used to.
We love you so much, little Silas, and praise God for your sweet life!
(Click here to see more pictures of Silas.)

No comments:
Post a Comment