10.09.2008

Washington D.C., Part Two

On Saturday morning, Jessica and I started off at the Holocaust Museum. It broke my heart to walk through there and learn more about what the Jews had to endure under Hitler. It was definitely a blessing to be reminded of the freedom that God has given us here in America.

A very nice man helped us to figure out how the Metro (subway system) worked, so we headed over to the Eastern Market for a little bit. It’s an outdoor market filled with little stands of artwork, clothes, food, etc. They also have a portion with lots of fresh fruits, vegetables and flowers. We really enjoyed walking through there, sampling the food and checking out some of the stands. After we had lunch, we met up with Ryan and Eric for some ice cream at Ben and Jerry’s.

When the boys went back to their conference, we went to the Archives. Our time there was pretty short as they were about to close. I did manage to get in trouble for my camera flash going off. It wasn’t a good situation, but I promise it was an accident.

Jessica and I then decided to go to the Botanic Garden. We found a nice table to relax at while we waited for the boys. While we were sitting there, the cutest little bird hopped up to us. He didn’t seem to be afraid of us and would get within a foot or so of us on the table. Anyway, he was the roundest, fattest little bird I have ever seen. He was adorable! He was pretty quick, so one of these pictures is pretty blurry.













We spent Sunday morning under wonderful teaching at Capitol Hill Baptist Church. After church, the boys had lunch with some of the elders, so Jessica and I went back to the Eastern Market for some lunch. There was a fun little group singing.

We then met the boys for their break and all headed to the White House. We weren’t able to go inside, but we took a couple pictures in front of it.

Later that night, Jessica and I went to the Lincoln Memorial, which was really neat. I don’t know why, but I was surprised at how big the monument was. One of our tour trolleys claimed that one side of Lincoln’s face looks stern (see photo below and to the right), which supposedly represents his no slavery view on the war, but the other side (see photo below and to the left) looks soft, which supposedly represents his tenderness in wanting to welcome the southern states back into the Union.














We ended our night with Chipotle (Jessica’s first time), which we agreed was delicious and topped that off with some Ben and Jerry’s ice cream (for the second time that weekend!).

We loaded back into the car and drove home the next day. Ryan and Eric definitely didn’t get to see much of the city, but they benefited tremendously from the knowledge and wisdom they gained from the 9Marks Weekender. Jessica and I really enjoyed our sightseeing, of course, but there was still so much we didn’t get to see. It was definitely a great weekend, and we were all so thankful for our time there.

No comments: