4.18.2008

Strange Shaking

Last night, Ryan awoke to the sound of everything shaking. It was mainly the sound of our windows rattling. I vaguely remember Ryan asking me what was going on. In my sleep I was trying to tell him it was just a train going by (not that we live close to a train track), but apparently what came out of my mouth was something about the gutters. Anyway, the shaking only lasted about 30 seconds. It was about 5:30 in the morning, and neither of us were terribly coherent. Ryan woke this morning to find out that the shaking was caused by an earthquake. That's right, an earthquake.

There was apparently an earthquake measuring a 5.2 that occurred in Illinois, and a 4.5 aftershock reached Kentucky and even all the way down to Atlanta. The strongest earthquake on record with an epicenter in Illinois occurred in 1968 and measured a 5.3. I guess I can cross this off the list of things I thought I would never experience.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Welcome to our world:). Kinda crazy those earthquakes are- they definitely give you a small glimpse of the power of God. We have had 3 small ones this past week- only 3.0-3.5 on the Richter scale supposedly our fault is due up soon but the last big one we remember was 89 so it has been awhile. I guess that isn't too bad of a "disaster zone"- going on 19 years and all:)